Ah, summer. The sun is burning bright, sizzling our woefully under-prepared skin with yet another sunburn, the kids are out of school (or almost there), and the pool is getting more use than it has over the last half a year combined. It’s truly one of the best times of the year, and it offers plenty of opportunity for the whole family to have fun together. However, just because the end of May unofficially marks the season of fun and games, that doesn’t mean you’re totally off the hook when it comes to staying safe.
One threat we all deal with is the danger of an electric shock. The hazardous nature of it becomes even more common around water, but you and your family can suffer serious shocking every day just by using the appliances already around your home. Keeping just a few critical reminders in mind while going about your day can ensure nobody gets hurt, so you can enjoy the upcoming summer months without a worry. For more electrical guidance, look no further than the experts at Mister Sparky!
Install GFCI Outlets
With the ridiculous amount of devices and appliances we use every day, the risk of suffering an electric shock through some unfortunate outlet-related accident is higher than you might think. We plug and unplug things all the time, and all those wires mean there’s a greater chance something could go wrong. Instead of waiting for that to happen, have some of your outlets converted to GFCI versions.
GFCI – Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter – is a type of protection afforded to outlets that carry a greater possibility of a ground fault occurring. Ground faults form when a circuit finds a quicker way to completion, overloading the circuit and causing the wires to overheat. This can lead to fire or – if near water – electrocution. A GFCI outlet will cut off the flow of a current if it detects even the smallest difference in voltage between the two wires in the outlet, preventing any harm from occurring to you or the outlet.
Don’t Overload Outlets
We can be tempted to stick every device we have into one outlet – I mean, it’s convenient right? However, doing so carries the risk of overpowering the outlet or power strip. When that happens, an electrical current can pose a greater threat of sparking a fire. Instead, space out the cords and try to limit receptacles to two or three plugs each.
Don’t Unplug Things While Running a Circuit
Whenever you’re finished using a device and want to remove it from an outlet, do so after cutting the power to whatever you’re unplugging. An activated device that gets removed can form an arc, which is when the electrical current jumps from the outlet to the thing that was plugged, even after it’s been removed.
More substantial devices or appliances, like ones that bear a higher circuitry load, can become seriously dangerous if they arc. Always be sure to power off any device you unplug before doing so.
Electricity makes everything so much easier at home, but we always have to keep in mind that we’re working with a highly volatile and potentially dangerous force of nature when we do so. Follow those simple safety tips and be sure to be as careful as possible when using your devices and appliances at home. For more electrical help and tips – or anything else you need – give Mister Spark a call at 214-613-0481!