With the vast amount of electricity that the average American pumps through their home all day, every day, it’s no surprise that we’re at a greater risk for electrical fires than the generations before. Most homes simply weren’t built with this type of electrical load in mind.
And since the amount of electricity we use doesn’t look like it’s going to slow down any time soon, we need to be aware of how likely an electrical fire could be in our homes. Although there might not be an imminent risk, it would be a good idea to take stock of your home’s electrical capabilities to ensure you and your family remain safe and sound for years to come.
For even more tips – or if you want to be more proactive – don’t hesitate to reach out to us!
Watch Out for the Wiring
Arguably the biggest trouble area for homeowners is your home’s wiring. Like we said, a significant portion of homes built more than 20 or 30 years ago weren’t intended to bear the type of electrical power we demand from them today. All that strain can make electrical fires more likely, so if you think your home is at risk, it might be time for a re-wiring.
Also problematic are homes outfitted with aluminum wiring. This was used in the early 1970s, but it was scrapped quickly due to safety concerns. Aluminum oxidizes and corrodes easier than copper does, making it more susceptible to fire.
Does your home have aluminum wiring? We can fix that!
Damaged Outlets and Wires
As the points of contact for electricity, outlets are put to work nearly around-the-clock. Eventually, they’ll need to be examined to check for any frays or gaps in the wiring, which is when they can begin posing risks for you and your family.
An unstable outlet will experience arcing, which is when an electrical current jumps from the outlet to the plug of a device you’re using. That’s a sure sign that something is amiss.
Double-Check the Quality of Appliances
While we try to maximize the electricity usage in our home, we sometimes cut corners by purchasing cheaper appliances in an effort to try and save some money here and there.
Unfortunately, the drawback here is that lower-quality products will often mean they’re of poorer quality. These are more likely to break and malfunction, leading to a higher chance of electrical fires. Always make sure you’re purchasing things that are well-reviewed and recommended by trustworthy people.
An electrical fire can turn a bad situation into a disastrous one in the blink of an eye. Don’t get caught off-guard. Take the necessary steps to ensure your electrical situation is A-Okay, so you can rest easy knowing you and your family aren’t at risk.
For the most reliable electrical service – everything from inspections to re-wiring services and whatever else falls in-between – look no further than Mister Sparky! Give us a call at 214-613-0481 to learn more about how we can help you out!